As the holiday season approaches, it seems like every retail and grocery store is in full-on Christmas mode. I always enjoy the array of seasonal-scented and -flavored items. I’ve seen everything from gingerbread-scented lotion to peppermint-scented shampoo! I also discovered sugar cookie-flavored eggnog during a recent trip to Trader Joe’s.
The flavored eggnog made me think about one of my favorite cookies to enjoy at this time of the year. Get the recipe for eggnog cookies below!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon for 30 seconds, set aside.
- With an electric or hand mixer, in a separate bowl, whip together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks one at a time, blending just until combined after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla extract, rum extract and egg nog, then slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Scoop dough out with a large spoon and drop onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spacing cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 11 – 13 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
- For extra flavor, top with my homemade buttercream frosting, and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Tell Me: What are your favorite cookies at this time of the year?