Whether you are health conscious, a vegetarian or just like a simple delicious dinner option during all the festive food this time of year, I think you will really enjoy this soup!
Just seeing the ingredients should tell you how healthy this White Bean and Spinach soup is. My mom always served a simple bean soup and cornbread during the holidays, which was so welcomed.
You will probably enjoy this year round, though it is perfect for fall and winter. Tomorrow I’ll share the favorite bread to go with this soup: Cranberry Pecan Cornbread. Let’s get started with the healthy and simply delicious soup recipe.
- White Bean and Spinach Soup
- 1 cup Great Northern beans
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 1/12 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp.salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the beans in a large container and generously cover with water. Soak overnight. Drain the beans, reserving up to 2 cups of liquid.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute the onions and carrots until tender. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the chicken broth, bean water and beans, garlic and bay leaf. Partially cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the bay leaf. Puree half the soup in a blender or food processor. Return to the pot of remaining soup and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Tell Me: What’s your favorite type of soup to enjoy at this time of the year?