I grew up enjoying delicious, classic, southern Sweet Potato Pie. It’s golden color, warm spicy sweetness and the good-for-you qualities of sweet potatoes make it a great choice for your Thanksgiving feast. The marvelous singer Patti Labelle is selling her version of the already prepared pie, but it is so very easy to make, you should do your own.
A visitor to my site, who is celebrating her first Thanksgiving as a newly wed, requested a recipe for this favorite dessert, so I am naming it in her honor. Enjoy the season with Kendra’s Sweet Potato Pie.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 ¼ cup of sugar (divided)
- 1 stick butter (8 Tblsp.), melted
- Dash of salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 (9”) deep dish unbaked pie crust
- Combine sweet potatoes and egg yolks in large mixing bowl, reserving egg whites. Beat well. Stir in 1 cup of the sugar, melted butter, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and milk. Beat egg whites with remaining ¼ cup of sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into sweet potato mixture. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until firm.
Tell Me: What’s your favorite Southern dessert to enjoy over the holiday season?