Yes, I know that congealed salads are not trending — but trust me, this is delish! Early on they were basically desserts disguised as a salad. But this one, filled with crunchy chopped veggies is tangy and refreshing. Anyone having impromptu lunch with me is always happy if this salad is standing by in my fridge. So am I! It goes well with all sandwiches and other protein salads such as chicken or tuna. It’s also great with the Shrimp Creole that I posted earlier this week.
If it makes you feel better about returning to congealed salads, gelatin has some excellent health benefits. According to HealthAmbition.org, benefits include an improved immune system, reduced appearance of cellulite, reduced joint pain, improved hair, skin and nails. Click here to learn more.
Serve this Lime Cucumber Salad nestled on plain lettuce leaves or surrounded by additional chopped veggies.
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 2 (3 oz.) pkgs. lime Jello
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 2 Tbls. vinegar
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Pour the lime Jello into the boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved. Stir in the salt, lemon juice and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese and mayonnaise. Stir in the cucumber, onion and parsley.
- Fold in the lime Jello mixture.
- Pour into a dish or mold and refrigerate until firm.
Tell Me: Are you a fan of congealed salads?