Today may be National Pecan Pie Day, but every day is pecan day at my house.
I keep roasted, spiced pecans handy at all times (recipe coming up). Granted, I could eat Pecan Pie everyday, but that is not a good idea, so I settle for eating roasted pecans as snacks and in salads, reserving the pie for special occasions.
I enjoy them in place of chips with sandwiches and as a mid afternoon snack with tea. I also use them to add crunch and flavor to all kinds of salads: fruit, vegetable and chicken.
- They contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals and are an especially good source of Vitamin E.
- They increase fiber and nutrient intake
- The fats in pecans are unsaturated (heart-healthy) and can help lower cholesterol.
- They are a good source of protein.
Here are some salad combinations that are especially good during summer months using favorite fresh veggies and fruits topped off with my Spicy Roasted Pecans:
- Mixed greens, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese with a drizzle of herbed olive oil
- Baby lettuce, watermelon, mint, blue cheese with a vinaigrette
- Spinach, peaches and poppyseed
- Spinach, strawberries, goat cheese with a vinaigrette
- Arugula, avocado, apple, pomegranate with Balsamic
- Mixed greens, chicken, orange slices cranberries with honey mustard
So whether you say “Pick KAHN” or “PEE-can” or “PEE-kahn”, this powerful little nut is delicious and nutritious.
Tell Me: What’s your favorite way to enjoy pecans?